Tag Archives: engine

Biosphere V. 0.0.4

Biosphere V. 0.0.4 – Multi-Touch And On Screen Joystick/D-Pad!

Joystick/D-Pad thingy

the character’s way of movement had passed a many evolutions, it started as simply using the volume up/down to move it (mostly because i was lazy to implement something bigger.. like touch screen…) then it passed to moving in the direction the finger is located relative to the  character itself, and now, finally, there is a “real” way of moving! there is now a D-Pad thing on the left bottom corner for movement, it is not what it is supposed to look like at the end, this is just my artistic skills in action! This is just a simple place holder for what is soon to be the main On-Screen control.

Multi-Touch

Now THIS, is what made everything possible! After implementing touch screen, I had to find a way to make everything compatible with each other, and the main problem was using more than one touch point at a time, and also making sure that it is not being exploit, meaning you cant use 5 fingers to dig down faster, or build structures in a ridiculous speed! So I had to make some rules in the game code, making sure there can be one finger for the On-Screen controls and one finger for the Game itself.

Well, that’s it for now, attached to this article is a picture of how the game looks like right now, I think the new blocks makes it look far better than what it used to!

BioSphere 0.0.0 – Choosing Development Tools and Getting Ready

First day of development
    I started out by testing what I will need for a game like this. We thought about keeping it simple and using “Canvas” which will do basic drawing and can handle basic movement and touch points. However, we didn’t want this to be just another “simple android game”.  I started out by asking the Lead Artist and Game Designer more questions to get a more clear view of how the game should look like and how the Game-play should feel like, eventually we got to the point where I didn’t think that a basic Canvas would fit the needs of it, we wanted something bigger, something better and more effective! this is where Open GL (ES) came in the picture! I started making my research about OpenGL (ES) since I only got to use it once or twice in my past. After a long time of researching, I started to get the hang of it and did some experiments with the triangles and “hello world” projects figuring that OpenGL (ES) will be a perfect environment for us to work in.

 

Next, we had to figure out which OpenGL (ES) Version would fit us best, 1.x (which consists of 1.0 and 1.1) or 2.0, which is completely different and that I never had a chance to test. We got to a conclusion finding out that 2.0 would be better since we would like to mess with more shaders and handle more objects on screen at one time to make the game experience better, and OpenGL (ES) 2.0 was the best solution out there.

 

Also, we didn’t want to use any other game engines such as AndEngine and others because we wanted this App to be completely, 100% us, and make it more challenging, thus making us have the need to learn more and provide a better app for you guys!

 

BTW, I am using eclipse with the ADT plugin to develop games for the android platform using the android SDK on a windows 7 computer, thought some of you programmers out there might want to know this, so here you go!

 

In the next post, I will most likely post some screenshots of how the game is coming to be! So stay tuned!